2023 key facts
- The Australian Export Awards are Australia's longest running business awards program.
- The program is celebrating its 61st year in 2023.
- In 1963, the Export Development Council wanted to recognise Australian businesses with outstanding export success. The inaugural Australian Export Awards national ceremony was held in Canberra on 27 November of that year.
- Since the first national ceremony, the awards have recognised 2037 Australian businesses as national finalists, including 755 businesses that have gone on to win a national award.
- The Australian Export Awards are presented by the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade).
- The Australian Export Awards recognises innovative, ambitious and successful exporters, providing those businesses a chance to tell their export story in Australia and on a global stage.
- Businesses must apply in their home state or territory; state and territory winners of the 13 national categories become national finalists in the program.
- National winners of each category and the Australian Exporter of the Year are announced at an award ceremony at Parliament House Canberra in late November.
- The Minister for Trade and Tourism is invited to host the national awards ceremony.
- 331 applications submitted across 8 states and territories.
- 86 national finalists (State and Territory winners of the national award categories).
National finalists statistics
- Employed more than 22,500 people in FY2022-23
- Generated over $12 billion in export earnings in FY2022/23, including $900 million from 4 ASX listed companies.
- 29% (25 businesses) are new to the Australian Export Awards program.
- 51% (44 businesses) are classified as small businesses with an annual turnover of less than 10 million.
- 37% (32 businesses) are led by women (either independently or jointly).
- One is a First Nations business (at least 50% owned by indigenous persons).
- Two were established in 1900, and the youngest was established in 2021.
- The finalist with the longest export history started exporting in 1933.
All information on the Australian Export Awards can be found at exportawards.gov.au
All queries should be emailed to email@example.com