Areas of focus include
- The degree of innovation in the marketing strategy
- Export growth achieved and the ability to sustain that growth
- Evidence of sustainable competitive advantage
- Value and contribution of exporting to business expansion
- The overall company commitment to international business
The judging criteria are as follows:
SECTION 1 – This section is not judged [0% weighting]
SECTION 2 - ABOUT THE BUSINESS AND ITS PRODUCT/SERVICES [25% weighting]
Assess the viability of the business, its product/service and how successful the business' exports/international successes have been in the current year.
- Criteria for E-commerce category: What are the innovative online practices/strategies the applicant has implemented to maximise their reach overseas (look for innovation in platforms, tools used and customer engagement).
- Criteria for all other industry specific award categories: Assess the businesses' activities against the selected national category they have applied in. Do these activities clearly reflect and effectively demonstrate leadership and innovation in the selected industry sector?
SECTION 3 - INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND MARKETING STRATEGY [40% weighting]
- 3.1 Criteria: Quality of marketing strategy taking into consideration scope of the applicant's international competitive advantage.
- 3.2 Criteria: What diversity and inclusion strategies has the applicant implemented in their business.
- 3.3 - 3.4 Criteria: Assess the level and sustainability of foreign revenue considering:
- As a proportion of total sales revenue.
- In terms of value, and year-to-year percentage change in value, over the last three years or since the applicant commenced exporting.
- Total export earnings from major overseas markets.
SECTION 4 - BUSINESS MANAGEMENT [25% weighting]
- 4.1 Criteria: Assess how/if the businesses' employment figures support export expansion relevant to the industry/category.
- 4.2 Criteria: Assess structure of the businesses' export/international operations and systems to effectively respond to international sales and whether the business is appropriately resourced for export expansion.
- 4.3 - 4.5 Criteria: Soundness of financial strategy for international business. Look for examples of a sound capital base (substantial net profit) and sufficient capital (cash and resources) to support export activity. What are the applicant's international plans for the coming year (e.g. new markets, additional staff, different marketing strategies).
SECTION 5 - INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PLANNING AND DIRECTION [10% weighting]
5.1 Criteria: Assess evidence of business commitment to international business.