What is the relationship between the State and Territory export awards programs and the Australian Export Awards program?
Entering at the state or territory level is the only path to the national Australian Export Awards:
- Step 1: Businesses apply in their home state or territory Export Awards program in one or more of the 13 national award categories.
- Step 2: Businesses are judged in their home State or Territory Export Awards program
- Step 3: State and Territory winners of each of the national award categories are announced at State or Territory award ceremonies. Winners become ‘National Finalists’ of the Australian Export Awards.
- Step 4: National finalists go through further judging rounds to determine a national winner in each category, to be announced at a national awards ceremony in Canberra.
You may only submit an application in one State or Territory Export Awards program. The application can only be submitted in the state or territory program where the organisation’s head office is located or where the majority of operations are established.
Who can apply?
The Australian Export Awards are open to all exporting Australian businesses, with a range of categories to choose from. Any business that adequately meets the judging criteria and requirements is eligible to apply.
Contact your state or territory program contact with any questions related to eligibility.
How do I apply?
You can apply via the online application portal at exportawards.gov.au any time during the application period.
When do applications open?
Applications for the Australian Export Awards can be submitted over the application period. This will be approximately 7 weeks from mid-late April until early June. You can stay up to date with the application timeline by checking key dates and visiting the website in early 2024.
What is the eligibility criteria?
There are various eligibility guidelines surrounding business, products or services and financials, which can be found at exportawards.gov.au/en/apply/eligibility-guidelines.
What do I need, to prepare for my application?
You can preview the application question here.
In addition to preparing your written responses, you will be requested to submit foreign revenue/export sales from each of your key export markets (up to 9 countries) over the past three (3) financial years. If you export into one country but your product is distributed to another country, you should prepare this information based on the country you export directly to.
What are the award categories for the Australian Export Awards?
There are 13 national categories which can be found here.
Your state or territory may also have additional award categories that are not considered part of the Australian Export Awards national program.
Can I apply in multiple categories?
You can apply for more than one category at the state /territory level. However, you can only win in one category.
Read the category descriptors to determine which categories you are eligible for, which best relates to your business.
State and territory program coordinators reserve the right to determine the most suitable category or categories.
Can I use my submission from previous years?
Questions do change from year to year, so be sure to read the criteria & questions at our 'apply' page before getting started. Any results or activity to substantiate your answer must have taken place in the qualifying period.
Am I able to re-enter in consecutive years?
Yes! All past entrants are encouraged to re-enter the Australian Export Awards.
If you win three times in the same national category you will then be inducted to the Australian Export Awards Hall of Fame.
Is it possible to edit my application?
You can log in to the online application portal any time to amend your application up until the application closing date. Please ensure you check your state / territory program for closing date.
How does entering the Australian Export Awards benefit my business?
In addition to receiving recognition within your state or territory Awards program, national finalists and winners will receive significant benefits in Australia and overseas.
As a national finalist and winner, your business will be:
- recognised as one of Australia’s top exporters within the Australian business community, helping you unlock new business opportunities.
- promoted internationally as a best in class exporter from Australia, helping you attract new customers and partners.
- profiled as a highly successful Australian exporter, inspiring other Australian businesses to develop or grow their export strategy.
- National finalists will be invited to attend the Australian Export Awards national ceremony at Parliament House, Canberra.
- You will join fellow exporters, Ministers and senior representatives from the business community to celebrate Australian export achievements.
Enhance your brand
- You will benefit from a comprehensive marketing package that includes your business profile being featured on the Australian Export Awards website.
- As a national finalist or winner, your business profile will also be promoted via Austrade and digital channels, including media coverage and PR opportunities.
- As national finalist, you will receive valuable feedback and insights from national category judges on your application submission to assist with your export strategy and future business promotions.
For more information visit the 'why apply' page.